Oct 23., 2016 / Prepping
Bartering Items for Preppers
If you are already a prepper, you likely know what it is to barter. If you don’t know what it is, bartering is trading one thing for another. Bartering will be important in an SHTF situation because, let’s face it, you can’t store everything you will need for the long hall.
I have found that there are some things that are much better for bartering in an SHTF world than others. Of course, guns and ammunition will be huge in a world where the law is not in place and you have to defend yourself. The items I will be listing are ones that you won’t likely be able to barter for weapons, but they will help you barter for other items that will help your life “after” to go more smoothly.
The five items on my list for bartering are as follows:
- Food: Trust me, there will be a lot of people willing to barter for food. There will not be enough available for sustaining a lot of people. Of course, a lot of people will help others that are without but, for the most part, people will have to trade things in exchange for food to feed themselves and their families. You may even be able to barter for a weapon if you are willing to part with a large portion of food.
- Water: In an SHTF world, clean water will be one of the most important things. When a natural disaster occurs, disease becomes a huge factor, especially without healthcare in place to help. Very quickly, the water supplies can become contaminated by wast leaking into the rivers nearby. Luckily, you can buy filters for the water now to help you have a regular supply of water then. Being able to barter with water filters can mean, for many people, the difference between living and dying.
- Ammunition: In a world without money, ammo can become more expensive than gold. As people struggle to defend themselves and stay alive, ammo will be going at a premium. You can guarantee there will be plenty of criminals roaming around trying to take advantage of those who are not prepared enough.
- Antibiotics: Stockpiling medication is one of the hardest feats as a prepper. You can store painkillers and antibiotics that you can get over the counter for now, but may have to resort to raiding hospitals if the time comes.
- Candles: These will most likely become a lot more valuable than you think they will. In an SHTF scenario, the power will go down and there won’t be any electricity. People will find they need to use candles to light their world. Figuring out a way to make your own could make you rich.
There are many other things you could add to your stockpile. Consider the things most needed first, though, when determining what you will be able to barter with.